Friday, November 16, 2007

My QuitMeter is Gone...

I just removed my QuitMeter, so you know what that means! Yes, I am smoking again. I am thoroughly disgusted and very pissed off at myself. I FEEL LIKE A SUCH A FAILURE!!!! I had to smoke a cig before I sat down to post this...and I stink! My hair, skin, and my breath STINKS! How disgusting! I feel awful and I'm crying as I post this. I was doing SO WELL..for 10 weeks I did not smoke and now, in this last week, I'm back up to a pack a day! I was actually suicidal a few days ago...I AM OK NOW so no need to be alarmed! I'm about to eat dinner and start back on Chantix. I think I understand what happened to me and why I started smoking again. I want to post my thoughts before I start my journey again.
  • Compared to other Chantix users, I tolerated it extremely well. Aside from bloating/gas problems, I didn't have any major, life-altering side effects. I had NO cravings whatsoever! I have a few minor thoughts of smoking, but aside from that, I did not want to smoke. Some days, especially when I didn't eat when taking my pill, I felt nauseous and the gastro problems were annoying, but not so bad to make me stop taking it...but that was month 1 and 2. Those first 2 months were soooo easy! I even posted that it was too easy for me, that it could not be this easy... well, perhaps I jinxed myself. I picked up my 3rd and last box of Chantix (I was on the 3 month program) and for whatever reason, I no longer tolerated it so well. The gastro problems got sooo bad that I could not function normally. I was missing days at work and not eating because my stomach was all messed up. Ok, thank goodness the first 2 months weren't like that or I wouldn't have made it to the 3rd month. So, bottom line, I got tired of being sick and i got COCKY! I figured, hey, I've been doing extremely well...I don't need this anymore! I only stopped 2 weeks earlier than my prescribed program (I stopped at week 10, instead of week 12 and I did NOT taper off). I just got tired of being sick and I just stopped taking the Chantix.

  • The week I quit Chantix, my best friend's mom died suddenly. I was feeling edgy, but I did not smoke throughout that time...but, last week, I got a call from Chicago - one of my brother's had died unexpectedly! In the span of 2 weeks, I attended 2 funerals...one of a woman very dear to me and one of my baby brother! I simply did not have the energy to fight The Evil Addict! Actually, I did NOT have a craving to smoke, at least not a physical craving...I just felt I had to DO SOMETHING to calm down and to not think. I was in such pain, I simply did not want to FEEL anything. Also, in some perverse way, I think I was attempting a slow type of suicide, to continue the slow death that smoking inevitably brings. My brother never smoked a day in his life...so why, should I, the older sibling, a NICOTINE ADDICT deserve to live? I was, and excuse my language, F'd up in the head those first few days after his death and funeral. I am ok now and ready to fight The Evil Addict again.

  • Having said all that, here is my opinion of Chantix: IT WORKS! IT DID HELP ME QUIT SMOKING and as long as I'm on it, I have no desire to smoke. I've read where some of you were prescribed for 6 months, I was only prescribed for 3 months...perhaps I need another full 3 months, but for now, I have enough left to get me through a month (I'm only going to take 1mg a day by splitting my pills in half...I have enough to be on it for another full month... if that doesn't work, I will ask my Dr. for another 3-month prescription).

  • Chantix, as wonderful as it is, is NOT a miracle pill. At some point, you have to stop taking it and the decision to remain smoke-free is up to you. I have more to say, but honestly, I'm tired and I'm hungry and I'm going to go eat a very late dinner and start back on Chantix.
I don't have the energy or will to proof this post, so I hope I'm not rambling too much with too many typos...if so, I apologize, I'll re-read tomorrow and clean it up it I have to.

10 comments:

maggie said...

OMG, hugs, hugs, hugs, and when I'm done with all that, more hugs! I am so very extremely sorry to hear about your brother. I think I recall that you've already lost a sibling. This is *not* fair and *not* supposed to happen, and my heart breaks for you. I wish there were words I could say, but having experienced my own, but always different, losses, I know that there really is nothing to be said. Do know that you are in my thoughts.

About the smoking, please don't beat yourself up, and please do keep with your plan to get right back on track. If you haven't checked in with Stan in awhile, it sounds like it might help since he's written about his own difficulties and renewed commitment.

It happens. People who used to smoke sometimes just do. This is damn hard, even if Chantix made it easier for you. Still, it is possible. Once some time has passed, this will be nothing but a little stone along the path that you've kicked back out of the way and kept right on going. I know you can do this. You know you can do this. Let's do this! I'm not sure how I can help, but if I can, you know I'm here, and I'll be reading along, as always.

OK, another round of hugs. Hang in there.

MsTekLady said...

Hey, Maggie! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Since I've been blogging here, I can always count on your kind words and support and I really appreciate it!

Yes, it's not even been a year since my sister died and now my brother :-( They were both younger than me and it's been sooo hard! But, no, life is not always fair, so I have to get over it and move on. That's all I can do! I know that's what they (my brother & sister) would want. So, I refuse to give up!!!

I posted on onchantix.com today, too and Stan has commented... as always, he too, is a great source of comfort and support! You guys are awesome!! I'm going to be lazy (mostly sleepy) and post that link here, but yes, I AM back on track as of tonight. I will not go down without a fight!

I hope you are still doing well with your quit! I haven't been following my blogger buddies lately, but I will catch up this weekend.

Take care and, again, I thank you, thank you, thank you for your support!

http://onchantix.com/blog/msteklady/smoking-again#comments

NICK said...

Hi MsTekLady,

I've been following along with you for over 2 months. In fact, I stole that smoking skull photo from your blog and put it on my own:

nixworld1.blogspot.com

I want to say that I appreciate your honesty. And your courage. After having written so much about your progress, I can imagine how it feels to write about this setback.

But setbacks are just that. Setbacks. You have failed at nothing. We all have setbacks. Financial. In relationships. In life. Welcome to the world of your fellow man.

One might say that you "fail" when in your heart, you quit trying. I know you want to succeed at being a non-smoker, and frankly, I am confident that you will. But for now, I know this setback has been hard to stomach.

I mentioned you today on Stan's blog. I am at the 10 week smoke-free point as of Monday. Having read your blog though, i was humbled about the reality of nicotine addiction.

I am here. In your court. Pulling for you.

And my sincere condolences about your loss.

Nick

EvilShannonB said...

MsTekLady, great big hugs to you. Hope you are doing okay. I lost my brother as well years back. Your brother and sister are still with you and you will see them again, if that helps. All the best to you at this time - you can get away from the smokes. Start again. My stopping smoking revealed a world of medical problems that were being masked and I'm dealing with that now. I think we all go through these periods in our lives which are painful. Don't give up. We are rootin' fer ya! - Shannon

maggie said...

I'm just stopping by, saying hello, hoping you are doing OK and letting you know that I'm thinkin' about ya!

Homestead Blogging said...

Here's a bunch of hugs from me too! [[[[[hugs]]]]]

I'm so sorry for your loss and this difficult time that you are going though.

I too say don't beat yourself up. I slipped up a while back and didn't really even have a reason! Just get back on that horse while the fall is still fresh and you'll do just fine.

I know that you want to quit, and you will. Just trust yourself. :)

RCinNC said...

Dear Msteklady,
Today is my second day on Chantix. Yes, I'm a newbie. I smoke 1/2 pack per day and I've been smoking for 25 years. The only time I quit completely was when I was pregnant. Please don't beat yourself up over this setback. I have read several of your posts and you are an inspiration to me. Please let us know how you are doing.

JEP said...

Yes I would definately call it a miracle drug, though it does have its side effects:

http://jepreport.blogspot.com/2008/02/joys-of-chantix-among-other-things.html

I would highly reccomend it to someone trying to kick the habit.

21 Days for me and NO cravings!

PolarBZ said...

Sooo, how are you doing now?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.