Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 7

Another great day... two days in a row without nausea!! Nice! Still feeling very tired, but it's nothing I can't handle and hopefully it will pass too. Tomorrow is my Quit Day! Today is my last day as a smoker. Before I go to bed tonight, I will crush what's left in my pack of cigarettes and run water over it before I toss it in the trash. I will never buy another pack of cigarettes!

I was going to post my Quit Day plan, but at this point, it's not "ready". All I have are several pieces of paper with quick notes jotted on them at various times throughout the week. I was going to compile them all into a meaningful list, but I'm so tired and so HOT I can barely see straight. The main points of my plan are simple: avoid all smokers, keep busy, and if I get the urge to smoke, remind myself that SMOKING KILLS!! I have more specific plans, but those three points are the gist of my plan. I even printed out "smoking kill" posters to put on my bathroom mirror and on my refrigerator.

Anyway, came in this evening to an extremely hot house. Ok picture this: I'm in SC, daytime temps have been in triple digits for 2-3 weeks now, not sure I've lost track! And it hasn't rained in over a month! Right now, it's 10:45PM and it's still 75 degrees outside! Even worse, the thermostat in my house reads 90 degrees at this moment. Yep, 90 degrees INSIDE the house!! The a/c is obviously not working...hubby is looking at it now, heard him say something about frozen coils or something. Doesn't sound good. Anyway, I'm about to take my pm dose and TRY to get some sleep! Funny! I'm hot and very miserable, but I'm not freaking out! I'm still a smoker, until I go to bed, but you know what? I don't even crave a cigarette right now! Wow! That is truly amazing! :-)

Before I sign off, I would like to share my "Goodbye to Cigarettes" letter. Those of you who are doing the Chantix GetQuit Support Plan know what I'm talking about. I wrote the other day on my afternoon break while smoking a cigarette (how appropriate, ugh!). Here it is:

Dear Cigarettes,

Smoking kills! That makes you a murderer and I don't want to hang out with with a murderer. It is time for us to part ways. Wish I could say I'll miss you, but I will not! We've been together for so long, it will be hard hot having you around, but I WILL manage without you! Most importantly, I will live a healthier and longer life without you. So, cigarettes, goodbye and good riddance - I don't want you anymore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go you! Heat like that makes me battier than I already am.

I love your quit letter and the idea that you have thought about quit day plans. Just a few of the things that really helped me a lot:

*taking breaths where smoking used to be (I've even resorted to putting my fingers to my lips as I sucked in air, Lakasha used straws, whatever works). As I stayed quit longer, the breaths could be deeper, and it's still like heaven and works like a charm even now!

*water - no clue why, but it helps with urges/cravings, too. Plus it's just good for you. I liked to think it was washing out the bad stuff - not sure if it works quite that way, but I liked the thought of it.

*5 minutes - remember that cravings/urges typically just don't last longer than 5 minutes (and often less). Now, another may come a minute later on a more rugged day, but you can make it 5 minutes through a bad spot, so you can also make it through the next one.

*I'm rooting for you!

Good luck to you, and I'm hoping you'll keep us all posted!

MsTekLady said...

Thanks, Maggie. You are wonderful! So far, Q-Day is going very well...no cravings, so far. Of course, the day is still young! But I'm ready for whatever comes my way!